Filing a Claim
There are a few important things to know about the claim form and the submission process:
You will see the terms “Victim” and “Claimant” used throughout the form.
- The term “Victim” refers to the individual who has been diagnosed with a September 11th-related physical injury or condition.
- The term “Claimant” refers to the individual who is filing the claim to seek compensation for the victim.
- Individuals who are filing an injury claim on their own behalf are both the claimant and the victim.
While a hard copy version of the Claim Form is available, we encourage you to submit your claim using the new online claim system. You can use this system to:
- Create an account and register with the VCF to preserve your right to file a claim in the future.
- Complete and submit the claim form.
- File an amendment to a previously submitted claim by following these instructions.
- Upload supporting documents to a claim.
- View correspondence sent by the VCF.
- Update your contact information or the information for your attorney or authorized representative.
- View the information you provided when completing your claim form,
including any information you may have entered on a claim form that you started but have not yet submitted.
If you are new to the system, this Navigation Tip Sheet provides information on how to navigate the online claim system.
If you started a claim using the old system, but were not able to submit both the Eligibility and Compensation sections, review this grid for directions on how to complete and submit your claim.
Hard Copy Claim
If you cannot file online because you do not have reliable access to the Internet, you can choose one of the following options to receive and complete the claim form:
- Download the PDF fillable version of the claim form, complete it using your computer, then print and mail it to the VCF.
- Print the PDF version of the claim form, complete it by hand, then mail it to the VCF.
- Request a hard copy form be mailed to you by calling the toll free Helpline at 1-855-885-1555.
Claim Filing Forms
- Signature Page - All Claims
- Appendix A - Additional Information for claims filed for Deceased Individuals (Now PDF-fillable)
- Appendix B - Presence at the Pentagon and Shanksville, PA Sites (Now PDF-fillable)
- Private Physician Forms - Including Appendix C & D
- Exhibit A / Exhibit A Deceased Individual - Authorization for release of medical records. Exhibit A must be mailed to the VCF with original signatures
- Exhibit 1 - Social Security Administration Consent Form
- Exhibit B1 - Authorization for release of pension and health information from HIPAA and non-HIPAA entities - this form can be used for both Personal Injury and Deceased Individuals
Claim Filing Resources
- Document Checklist - Personal Injury - use this checklist if you are filing a claim for yourself, or filing for a deceased individual whose death is not believed to be related to a 9/11-related physical condition
- Document Checklist - Deceased Claim - use this checklist if you are filing a claim for an individual who is believed to have died as a result of a 9/11-related physical condition
- Amendments and Appeals Detailed explanation of when to amend and when to appeal, including examples
- How to file an Amendment - instructions on how to file an amendment
- How to claim Medical Expenses - instructions on how to claim past out-of-pocket medical expenses