U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


How to File a Claim

To be considered for compensation from the VCF, you must submit a claim. By law, the VCF can only compensate for losses caused by eligible conditions related to the events of September 11, 2001.  In addition, the law requires the Special Master, in each case, to take account of the harm to the claimant, the facts of the claims, and the individual circumstances of the claimant.   

Please note, you are not required to have an attorney file your VCF claim. You are free to consult with attorneys and you should make your own decision as to whether you wish to retain an attorney.

To be eligible for an award from the VCF, you must meet the following criteria:

  1. Register – Register with the VCF by the deadline applicable to your individual circumstances and submit your complete claim no later than October 1, 2090.

    Learn more about registration deadlines.
  2. Lawsuit – Dismiss, withdraw, and/or settle any 9/11-related lawsuits by the appropriate deadline.

    Learn more about 9/11-related lawsuits.
  3. Condition – Show that you have a 9/11-related physical injury or condition that is certified for treatment by the World Trade Center (“WTC”) Health Program or, in limited circumstances, that you have a physical injury or condition that was treated by your private physician and verified as 9/11-related through the VCF’s Private Physician process. You should only file your claim after the WTC Health Program has certified your physical health condition.

    Learn more about eligible conditions.
  4. Presence – Show that you were present at one of the attack sites, within the New York City Exposure Zone, or along the routes of debris removal at some point during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, through May 30, 2002.  Note: The routes of debris removal apply only to those individuals who loaded, unloaded, or drove the trucks containing WTC debris, worked on the barges transporting the debris, and/or worked at the Fresh Kills landfill.

    Learn more about presence at an eligible location.
  5. VCF1 Award – If you received an award from the original September 11th Victim Compensation Fund that operated from 2001-2004 (“VCF1”), you must show that your VCF1 eligible injury or condition has substantially worsened, or that you have a new physical injury or condition which you had not suffered at the time of the VCF1 claim filing or which was not compensable at the time of VCF1; and that you have not already been fully compensated for your losses.

    Learn more about VCF 1 claims.
  6. Personal Representative – If you are filing a claim on the victim’s behalf (i.e., as a Personal Representative for a deceased victim, or as the legal guardian for an incapacitated adult), you must show that you have the legal authority to do so. 

    Learn more about filing a claim on a victim’s behalf.

How to File a Claim

Go to https://www.claims.vcf.gov/Account/Login to access your online account. Once you are logged in, select “Existing Registrations and Claims.” Identify your claim number and select “Begin Eligibility.”

You will be presented with a series of questions to tell us why you are eligible and the types of compensation you are seeking. You will also need to submit certain documents based on your circumstances.   

Additional Resources


VCF Helpline Representatives are available to help answer questions about submitting a claim, and they can also assist you in navigating the online claims system. 

If you a represented by an attorney, contact your law firm with any questions. They will submit your claim on your behalf.

VCF Helpline - Monday to Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm, except Federal Holidays.

  • Toll-free number: 1-855-885-1555 
  • Hearing Impaired: 1-855-885-1558 
  • Outside the United States: 1-202-514-1100 

Online Claims Management System (CMS)