U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.



2.1 What deadlines do I need to meet when filing my VCF claim?

There are two deadlines in the claim filing process – the first is the Registration Deadline and the second is the Claim Filing Deadline.  Registration is not the same as filing a claim and the deadline varies according to claim type and individual circumstances.  To understand what is applicable to your situation, please see detailed information about the VCF’s Registration Deadlines.

The Claim Filing Deadline is the same for everyone:  October 1, 2090.


1.11 If I participate in a lawsuit under the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA), can I still file a VCF claim?

Yes, if you participate in a lawsuit under JASTA, you can still file a VCF claim.  See Section 405(c)(3)(C)(i), Zadroga Act, as amended (49 U.S.C. § 40101 note).  Any compensation awarded by the court in the lawsuit or obtained in a settlement of litigation will be treated as an offset and deducted from your VCF award. 


1.10 Can I pursue a claim with both the VCF and the U.S. Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund (“USVSST Fund”)?

Yes, however, the VCF is required by law to offset any benefit paid by other collateral sources relating to the 9/11 attacks. As a result, USVSST Fund payments made to victims who are also eligible for compensation from the VCF, will be subject to offset by the VCF. To be clear, the VCF is required to offset USVSST Fund payments made on account of 9/11-related injuries to the same victim.

For more information, refer to Section 3.9 of the VCF’s Policies and Procedures.


1.7 What happens if a victim passes away after filing a personal injury claim?

When a claimant who has filed a personal injury claim dies, the VCF will stop processing the claim and/or payment of that claim until a Personal Representative of the deceased claimant (“decedent”) is appointed and validated by the VCF.  This protects the decedent’s personal information and ensures details about the claim are shared only with those who are authorized to access the information. 


1.6 What types of documents can I submit to prove I was present at a 9/11 crash site?

There are many different types of documents that can be used to demonstrate presence at a 9/11 crash site, in the New York City Exposure Zone, or along the routes of debris removal.  Full details of the most common types of documents are outlined in Section 1.6 of our Policies and Procedures and the Claim Form Document Checklist (Personal Injury or Deceased Claim).


1.5 How do I add or change the attorney on my claim?

To add, change, or remove the attorney on your claim, follow the instructions on the Change of Attorney Form and upload the completed and signed form to your claim.  Once the VCF receives the completed form and any required documents, we will make the appropriate updates to your claim, including who receives correspondence and who is able to access the claim online.


1.3 Are there any circumstances under which the review of my claim can be accelerated?

Yes. In cases involving terminal illness or significant financial hardship, you can request that the VCF expedite the processing of your claim. The VCF considers “significant financial hardship” to include an imminent or pending foreclosure or eviction proceeding, utility cut off, or other similar circumstances, as demonstrated by appropriate documentation.